WHAT ARE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF OUR STUDENTS?
Students must demonstrate one or more of the following internal characteristics:
> Feelings of sadness, frequent crying or restlessness, loss of interest in friends and/or school, mood swings or erratic behavior;
> The presence of other symptoms such as fears, phobias or excessive worrying and anxiety regarding personal or school problems;
> Behaviors that result from thoughts and feelings that is inconsistent with actual events or circumstances – such as difficulty maintaining normal thought processes or excessive levels of withdrawal from person or events.
Students with only external characteristics are not generally appropriate for Kruse Program.
External factors are characterized by:
> An inability to build or maintain satisfactory interpersonal relationships with peers, teachers and others adults in the school setting or
>Behaviors that are chronic and disruptive: such as noncompliance, verbal and/or physical aggression and/or poorly developed social skills.
HOW DO WE DETERMINE IF A STUDENT IS RIGHT FOR US?
> School records are reviewed including the current psychological (dated within 2 years), IEP, FAB/BIP.
> Observation of a student in the current school setting.
> Parent/guardian makes arrangements to visit the school.
> M-Team meeting at home school to review information and determine placement.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR A REFERRAL:
1. Referral Information Sheet submitted
2. Psychological (no more than 2 years old) with IQ and projectives, including adaptive behavior scales, if appropriate.
3. Functional Assessment of Behavior (FAB) and Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) with data and graphing that address current problem behaviors. (entered into ISIS)
4. Current IEP.
5. Current psychiatric, is available.
6. Student Case Management Referrals for previous 6 months (copies of the actual documents, not the computer print out)
7. Current academic evaluation with grade levels
8. Parent signed Notice of Intent and Parental Consent to Conduct Screening /Assessment (FM 6279) with “behavior” checked and “Observation by Kruse Staff” written in.
9. Classroom anecdotal (copies of actual documents)
10. Manifestation Determination (copy for accumulated first 10 day suspension and copy of manifestation for every suspension thereafter and entered into ISIS)
11. Copy of paperwork showing all unexcused absences have been resolved.
12. Once packet is complete it must be sent to Region for approval. Region will forward all completed packets to Kruse.